Tuesday 19 June 2012

Being Followed

For some who protested several years ago about cows being put on Blacka it was mostly about risk. Numerous incidents around the country were reported in the media telling of attacks by cows, some of them tragic. I had worked with cattle and had no personal fears but hated the way that using them turned the place into farmland. Only one cow had ever reacted badly to me and she had the excuse that I had tried to apply a wet cloth to her udder at 5.30 in the morning; that resulted in a savage kick in the mouth but I knew it had been mostly my own fault. The other thing to avoid when only half awake in the early hours is having a cow stand on your foot. There are better dancing partners around.


One behaviour trait of cows that can be disconcerting is the habit of following you along a path. I watched a lady with a dog being followed on Blacka in just this way a couple of days ago and shortly afterwards they did the same to me. I thought little of it until I read of this incident recounted by an experienced herdsman.

No comments: