Friday 15 June 2012

Vet?

It was two days ago at Stony Ridge. As he got out of the car the man looked at me: "Vet?" he asked? I looked to see if there was a sick dog in the back of his car . Seeing my puzzled look he persisted: "Is it vet?" pointing generally at Blacka Moor. The penny dropped helped by his strong accent. "It's not too bad today," I replied, "drier than it's been for a few days."

This morning was a different story, possibly the vwettest it's been for several years.


On Wednesday I was wearing  Muckboots because my walking boots had not dried out. Today there was no choice. Tracks and paths were a series of linked lakes of indeterminate depth. A little courage was necessary and a certain old dog was found lacking.

This (above) was today's view of Lincoln Cathedral. Below, the main bridleway.


The falls and rapids below were satisfyingly elemental, much to do with the volume.



Much birdsong nevertheless just audible. This is what we come for. An experience of nature that is as far away from everyday life as we can get where we can be alongside that which we can't control and shouldn't want to. In short it owes nothing to humans and managers.




I suppose it's appropriate that on such a day something should put a damper on enjoyment, so here's the first appearance this season of evidence that Sheffield Wildlife Trust is still alive.




No comments: