Saturday 1 January 2011

Blacka Moor's Member of Parliament

On Wednesday, only slightly late, came my Christmas card from my MP, Nick Clegg. With it was a letter explaining various things he felt the need to explain and in which recipients were invited to write to him. As ever this blog is conscientious and seeing as Blacka Moor has never, to my knowledge, written to any Deputy PM before, this opportunity has been taken. The letter begins below:

Dear Nick Clegg,

Thank you for your Christmas card and letter to constituents received this week. In returning your greetings I would like to take up your invitation to contact you and therefore raise the following matter with you, regarding the government’s localism agenda.

I have read reports and articles about the localism plans and also seen Select Committee appearances by the Secretary of State and the Minister for Decentralisation and the Minister for Housing and Local Government but so far have not been aware that my particular concerns are being voiced. I have not as yet seen any similar appearances by the Secretary of State for the Environment nor those representing other departments also affected by localism.

I’m apprehensive that the government’s model of localism will in specific situations finish up by actually disempowering local communities in favour of organisations which may present themselves as community focused but which are in reality more centralised and less accountable than local government itself. I have some direct experience of a situation within your own Sheffield Hallam constituency which I believe is relevant to this. Similar anxieties could be linked in relation to National Nature Reserves (NNRs).


The letter continues and can be read in full here

No comments: