Thursday 23 April 2015

Shakespearian


          "I'll be a park, and thou shalt be my deer"


On 23rd April, Shakespeare's birthday, these deer obliged.

'Fondling,' she saith, 'since I have hemm'd thee here
Within the circuit of this ivory pale,
I'll be a park, and thou shalt be my deer;
Feed where thou wilt, on mountain or in dale:
Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry,
Stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.
Within this limit is relief enough,
Sweet bottom-grass and high delightful plain,
Round rising hillocks, brakes obscure and rough,
To shelter thee from tempest and from rain
Then be my deer, since I am such a park;
No dog shall rouse thee, though a thousand bark.'
From Venus and Adonis*, Shakespeare, born 23rd April 1564

More pictures of roe deer taken 23rd April.





*Hot stuff from Will!! You hardly need to read between the lines.

No comments: