Sunday 23 December 2007

Where Are They?

I've not seen the red deer for more than two weeks. Before then the family group with stag, hind and one young deer had been regular sights on the morning walk.

I hope I'm not worrying unduly but it was reported that a local farmer had shot a deer some time ago and it's not unusual to hear early morning gunshots. I know some farmers do love to have an excuse to use their weapons. It's not as if they are a large presence, and the family group was a welcome and delightful addition to Blacka's wildlife. Not that one could expect the wildlife trust to bother much. They are far too busy trying to find ways of subsidising their jobs with national grants.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the stag & hind on Saturday 15 December - sometime between 8 & 9 a.m. on the land to the left of the path up from the stepping stones (just before the 'new bench'). No sign of the fawn.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.