Friday 5 November 2010

Pas de Deux?



Messages arriving via SWT suggest that people from Sorby are doing a guided walk through the pasture land tomorrow morning (Saturday) in pursuit of waxcaps. There are certainly plenty of these colourful fungi around although my choice would have been to come about two weeks ago. Many are past their best. Still, one of my favourites was there this morning and may survive until tomorrow if the livestock who use the place as a lavatory avoid treading on it. Actually there are two - close together. My knowledge of fungi is limited, but if this is not the Ballerina Waxcap then it is the closest to it that I have yet seen, being pink and having a poise and a pose that would not go amiss in a production of Sleeping Beauty.
Today I could not find the bright red waxcaps that I saw some weeks back. Tomorrow they may be luckier.

No comments: