Saturday 20 September 2014

Where We Are

"We are where we are

I had nearly given up. My prediction that these words would be prominent in the SWT public engagement on Thursday was only fulfilled an hour into the event, kindly supplied by a SWT trustee with whom I was talking. I had written the phrase in my little notebook previous to the event with a promise of 10 points for each appearance. The reason it took so long explains the wait: I was expecting it to come in the context of an apology from SWT's chief executive for misleading the public and the failures to honour pledges made to consult properly over several years and disillusion and frustration felt by those who use and know Blacka. I had no expectation of a full and itemised apology of course, just a generalised one. But even that did not come. In fact the chief executive did not interract with the audience at all. Her brief presentation was no sooner delivered than the 'minder'/facilitator Pete Spriggs (yes he!), of post-it-note events Clearer Thinking, had moved things on swiftly to shield her from accountability.

Even when you've known this organisation for so many years it still comes as something of a shock to see again just how embedded the lack of principle is. I'm still unclear if this quality is deeply embedded in the national Wildlife Trust setup or is a symptom of local venality among the conservation organisations and public bodies generally. I'm sure anyway it's supported by the national setup - now based in Newark.

For the record my response to the phrase at the top - as the burglar said when caught in possession of the loot.

No comments: