Friday 2 October 2015

Crossing Patrols

It's getting harder to recruit Lollipop People to help our small folk to cross roads near to schools. It's not just the pay. Many can't take the stress and some actually give up because of bad driving and often shocking manners of many drivers.

I found one this morning who had excellent qualifications on Sheephill Road. As I drove along Sheephill Road 20minutes before sunrise a cyclist appeared stationary on the road ahead. He put up his hand signalling me to stop which I did. Immediately a badger walked across and disappeared in a ditch on the other side of the road.

This led to reflections on the strange relationship our National Parks have with wildlife. That badger in my view has more of a right on the road than I have in my car. Perhaps there should be 24 hour crossing patrols at regular intervals? Extreme? But not as extreme, surely, as having not even a single sign or reminder to motorists to be aware of wild animals being around and no speed patrols on roads where there are many roadkills and serious collisions.

Time to have a public conversation about what a National Park should be for? It's always that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes I think there needs to be signs to remind motorists of deer - to protect all concerned.