Sunday 12 July 2015

Candelabra

To me it's the Candelabra Flower. I rarely see it with the flowers fully open so the narrow heads and glowing yellow tips identify it for me as that.


This is another member of the huge daisy family of plants. I'm challenged by most wild flower identification but some corners of this family are specially problematic. I'm not alone in this.



Happy the person who's prepared to call every  Hawkweed, Cats-ear, Hawkbit, Hawkbeard etc. "some kind of dandelion".  In this case I've settled for Wall Lettuce but another similar plant is Nipplewort.  I would prefer the name I've given it. My understanding is that you can tell Wall Lettuce from Nipplewort by counting the florets on the flower head. Nipplewort has a lot more. In Wall Lettuce it's no more than 5.Those I counted had 4. The leaves should also help:



 It might be at home on a small white grand piano.

No comments: