Saturday 7 February 2015

European Protection Areas

The sheer awfulness of the local conservation management and its pathetically uninspiring policies does no favours to the wider cause of nature conservation.

I should be supporting the message in this article in The Guardian:

We should strengthen, not strangle, European protections for our wildlife 

Instead I look around locally and see the naturally rewilding land corrupted with farm management, subsidy trousering, barbed wire and huge sums spent on boundaries, chain sawing of trees and culling of wildlife. The over-emphasis on unnatural heathland and cosseting of ground nesting birds focusing all management on what brings in the grants and subsidies and undervaluing natural regeneration, all this creates a weary response to calls for more government money - a cause I would like to be able to support. All I can judge is what I see every day.

No comments: